Thursday, July 10, 2008

What Step to take? Baby Steps!

"To proceed with the third step the knowledge from step two is indispensable, but apart from that step three is not really difficult."

The above quote, straight from the Steps Method site made my decision on how to proceed with the Steps Method an easy one. If I have so much trouble with Step 3, than I must have missed something from Step 2, or it slipped away in a few months. I have restarted from square a1, or h8 if you have to play the black pieces.

After reading trough Step 1 I did the first exercises of Step 2, those are a test on Step 1 anyway. Now I'm working my way trough Step 2 again and only after finishing that one I'll restart in Step 3.

Hidden Leaf recommends
I would like to use this moment to recommend the puzzle section on the Steps Method site. It has daily and weekly puzzles on all levels. They don't have an archive, that I could find, so you'll really have to try them weekly.

Help feature
If you're really lost you don't have to use trial and error all the way: the question mark button will highlight the piece that has to be used. Also, it's good to know that when you make a wrong move in a combination, you don't have to go back all the way, another possibility exists: just click the last correct move in the notation.

Challenges on all levels
Whilst looking at some of the Endgame puzzles, clearly above my chess ability, I realised the truth in the quote: "Studying openings teaches you openings, studying endgames teaches you chess." I can see how, by studying the endgame, one learns the true nature (I couldn't resist this one) of the pieces and how they cooperate.

You can find these amazing puzzles on all levels by either clicking on the link in the sidebar or by clicking here.

I've shamelessly borrowed, copied and stolen quite a lot of links from other blogs and sites, but I haven't seen anyone linking (directly) to this one. I hope at least a few people will enjoy it and find it useful in their quest for chess improvement.

3 comments:

Robert Pearson said...

Hi, I will be linking to you within a day or so when I do a major link reorganization, I think your doing a nice job on your blog!

Robert

Hiddenleaf said...

Thanks you, I'm glad you like it.

I can't return the favour of adding you... you're already in my list.

From the patzer said...

Going slowly is the best way to go. Make sure you know the stuff you learn. So maybe by those tests always say out loud which tactic is used in the solution.

Also, try to play over the board games with friends or join a chess club. Since in books you always know what to look for (mate in one, winning material, ...) while in a real game there is nothing or nobody who will say what to do.